Problem Solving
Direct answer to questions on Problem Solving


The purpose of any interview is to give the interviewer an accurate picture of you. The interviewer wants to know what makes you unique and where you’ve been on your career path. Using appropriate words and phrases will assist you in getting the necessary information across. This chapter focuses on the topics of you and your knowledge, providing you with words and phrases to help you create an accurate picture for the interviewer



Here in this section we will discuss and learn how to answer questions on Problem Solving


Can you handle problems?
  1. How would you describe your problem-solving ability?
  2. Tell me about a time when you solved a problem at work?
  3. Tell me about a time when you solved a difficult problem?





1. How would you describe your problem-solving ability?


Perfect answer

I have a process that I go through when solving problems evaluate, explore research, prepare, and perform. It has helped me through many a tough problem.

If you were to ask my last boss, he would tell you that I thrive on problems and coming up with solutions, particularly problems that involve money. I’ve always been good with numbers and I am very particular about attention to detail.

One can use a "slogan" or "name" describing your qualities with dealing with problems

At work they call me, ‘Mr. Problem Solver.’ I am the one who everyone comes to when no one else can figure out the problem with his or her computer or a system. I like working with people, so I try to make myself available whenever possible.”






2. Tell me about a time when you solved a problem at work?

Perfect answer

On one of my past jobs I was able to detect a pattern of events and could see where the problem was occurring. I immediately worked with the engineering department to solve the problem that turned out to be a leak that was causing irregular test results. Working together, we were able to come up with a solution. No one had thought to look for a pattern, and it would have probably gone on for quite a while before anyone had noticed the problem.

I recently had an experience where I analyzed some information that had been used for years and found it to be totally inefficient. By presenting a new format and way of tracking costs, I was able to come up with a way to save significant dollars. Needless to say, the idea was met with much enthusiasm and encouragement. The roll out was a big success.

The problem wasn’t big enough for anyone to do anything about. But it was big enough so that everyone was complaining about it every day. It had to do with the scheduling of time so that the mail went out that day. I took it upon myself to draw up a schedule and talk to the delivery guy about the time and pickup. The problem was easily solved, but no one had taken the time to deal with it. I received many pats on the back for taking the initiative.




3. Tell me about a time when you solved a difficult problem?


Perfect answer

One of my strengths is my analytically problem-solving ability. I had a recent success when I saw that the numbers were down on the sale of our new product. I worked with across-functional team and surveyed the customer only to find out that we had been using the wrong approach for our target audience. I made recommendations to the board of directors and after some discussion and tweaking was able to influence them to approve a whole new approach with the customer. The result was a better product launch, more sales, and very satisfied customers.”

The toughest problems I have encountered are problems that are the result of an emergency. In my last job I was called in on a Sunday because the power to all the computers in the company had shut down. It was essential that I get in there fast and work on the problem before employees started arriving in the morning. Two technicians and I worked all day past midnight struggling to get the power back up. We were able to fix the problem so that when employees began arriving on Monday morning, they never knew there had been a significant computer glitch.”

We had a problem at one of my last jobs with overspending on office supplies. By initiating a process improvement plan, I was able to solve the problem of expensive waste that had been practiced at the company for the previous five years. I was generously rewarded for that solution.

Post a Comment

 
Top